Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What Makes a Great Show?

Are you an interesting guest? Does the host ask good questions, and make you feel welcome? What ingredients are needed to insure a smooth show?

As a radio host - I think I speak for most hosts - I like guests who know their subjects inside out and respond to questions with solid answers. The questionnaire for my book, Talk Radio Wants You, asked for the host’s version of the guest from hell. One wrote: Someone who
stammers over their words and goes on and on and on with no relevance to the topic.

Another complained about guests that only answer questions with yes and no.

Also, never talk above the audience.
Be careful not to slide into techno-babble, jargon or acronyms that few know about, proclaims Scott Lorenz, president of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm, whose 33 interview Tips are in my book. Indeed, we recently had a guest who expounded on a scientific theory in response to a question and my co-host finally had to stop him.

Scott also suggests using the host’s name often.
A person’s name is sweet music to them so commit to memory or jot down the name of the host and use it throughout the interview,

To contact Scott, write to @scottlorenz@westwindcos.com. http://www.book-marketing-expert.com

Finally, relax and have fun. After the show send a thank you note (email is fine). I can count on one hand those who do and I remember the grateful guests. A thank you goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment